This idea was born several months ago when Panera introduced their famous “Broth Bowls.” Heather and I were having lunch one day and I took the plunge to try something a little different from my Chicken Frontega sandwich. (Which is still my favorite!) I was blown away by the flavor that was packed into such an unassuming little bowl of broth and randomness!
Naturally, I set out on a mission to replicate it – and that’s a different blog post for a different day.
Either way, we enjoyed that broth bowl that day and it set a bit of a creative spark off in me that day. Over the last few months I’ve let broth bowls be my quick “go-to” meal when we are in a hurry or when we just want something that’s healthy and super soothing! (We’ve been fighting colds the last week, so it REALLY hit the spot tonight!)
Here’s the 411 on broth bowls… Create a really flavorful broth using chicken stock (or “Better Than Bouillon”), some veggies and seasonings – then add some grains and protein to round out the meal! Have fun making these your own.
Comment below – I would love to hear what combinations you come up with!
Printable Recipe PDF here: mushroom_broth_bowl
- 2c. White Quinoa
- 6 c. Chicken Broth
- 8 oz. White Mushrooms
- 6 Chicken Tenders
- 7 Artichoke Hearts (canned)
- 1 can (15.5 oz) Red Kidney Beans
- 1 Tbsp. Butter
- 1/8 tsp. Ground Cumin
- 2 cloves Fresh Garlic
- Dash Crushed Red Pepper
- Seasoning Salt to taste
• Cook your quinoa per package instrustions. (2 parts water to 1 part quinoa. Bring to boil, reduce to simmer. Cook for 15 minutes until water is absorbed. Remove from heat and let rest.)
• Slice the mushrooms and sautee them in butter over medium to medium/high heat for about 6 minutes. Add chicken broth, garlic, crushed red pepper, season salt and cumin. Bring to a boil.
• Taste the broth for flavor BEFORE adding the chicken for flavor. Add more of what you think it needs.
• Add chicken tenders to the pot, bring back to a boil, cover and reduce to a simmer. Cook for 15-20 minutes, until the chicken is done.
• Remove chicken to a cutting board, chop coarsley with a knife and add back to the broth.
• Cut the artichoke hearts in half.
• Rinse and drain red kidney beans, and add those to the broth – along with artichoke hearts.
• Bring everything back to a simmer and it’s ready to serve.
• Be sure to taste the final broth before serving, and don’t be afraid to add more seasonings if you think it needs it.
• Place 1/4 of the quinoa in the bottom of the bowl, and ladel about 1/4 of the broth mixture on top. Top with sliced green onions! A quick squeeze of fresh lemon will add a little brightness to the flavor!
• Get creative and try adding a few extra things to the broth mixture when you cook!
• Canned Garbanzo Beans (Chickpeas), Fresh Spinach, Cooked Barley, Wild Rice, Leftover Pasta (plain) etc.
• Don’t like mushrooms? Try substituting onions!